Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Triathlons, Boston, and Trail Running

I have a few pics of my first triathlon that my awesome cheerleader (Jedd) took. But they're mostly pics of me hating life while running, so why post those? The triathlon was a great into to tris, and now I'm not sure I'm really into them. This tri was the opposite order of most, so I ran first. Ouch, running! I'm a jogger. I can jog for a long time. Running? That's a different story! So I was in P.A.I.N. by the end of the run. The biking was awesome. I was flying, and loving it. And the swim? Cake. Obviously. I was using this tri to decide if I'd like the Hammerman Triathlon later in the summer. I'm still undecided. Huh.

After the tri, I headed to Boston to visit Julia. She'd organized a BBQ with all her friends so that I could meet all the people I've heard about. That was FUN! Look at how cute the guests were:


Tilley, Julia's dog. SOOOOO cute.



Julz and I did a little swimming and running in Beantown (she's training for a 1/2 ironman), and then headed up to Maine. The plan was to go rafting on some ridiculously high, fun waters, but thanks to a huge fail in communication, that didn't happen. But what did happen is that Julz and I got to stay in a fantastic cabin in the woods and sleep for 12 hours! It was a relaxing trip to Maine, indeed. We also checked out a raging waterfall, hiked with Tilley, and basically tried to stay dry (the weather was crap).

After returning to Beantown, we met up with our high school prom dates. I kid you not. They were in town, and we all stayed at Julia's house. There are some awesome "prom" pics we took, but they're on facebook, so I'm not going to duplicate them here. I'm too lazy. Nate, Julz, Kristin(not a prom date), and Brian and I all went to the Cubs game at Fenway Park. This was the first time the Cubs were in Fenway since 1918. And they STILL haven't won a World Series in the interim. Awesome job, Cubs. Anyway, it was great fun to watch the Sox slaughter the Cubs. There were just about as many Cubs fans in the stadium as Sox fans, so we all had a great time razzing each other.


Moi, Kristin (the Sox fan was surrounded!), and Julz





Disclaimer: This is joke. Loren is NOT a hooker. I got some good laughs out of this shirt.



Our seats! :) They were awesome!


After a near-death experience flying into and out of Minneapolis on my way home from Boston (we flew through tornado-inducing winds, I don't recommend it), I made it back to Anchorage in time for my 8 mile trail race. I heart this trail, though I've never actually "raced" on it before. You start at sea level, then go up and up and up, then even out, go back down to sea level, and then you get to go up and up and up and up and up again. And then finally back down, and you're done. I feared that I wouldn't be able to walk today, the day after, but I'm surprised by how good my legs feel - just a slight soreness! I was limping around last night. Weird. Anyway, here's a pic of the view I shot as I was hustling my way up one of the mountains. It was a B-E-A-Utiful day!! And I'm happy to report that I did not get dead last. Mission accomplished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeez Linz, I can't keep up with all your adventures and plans! Keep time available for our family gathering in La Quinta in November.